Sunday, November 15, 2009

Change

I always enjoyed sports but didn't feel comfortable playing teams sports. I never managed to excel at any and by nature was too critical of myself to participate if I couldn't do well.

Later when I got into high school, I was soon aware of my differences sexually and took being teased by coaches to heart (such terms as being called a girl, or sissy, or faggot).

I think that's where a lot of people learn their cruel natures from, teachers. For some reason they don't think teaching respect for the individual is part of their job. Of course the students follow their lead, and some students get teased in each class. For me, that was physical education.

So they made me shun sports and get out of physical education as soon as I could. I missed not playing sports but it was better that being called names. The sad thing is that the adults turned a blind eye to the problem instead of correcting the adults that were acting improperly.

It seems that the harder we try to be kind, the more cruel others seem to become. The world, especially where I live, seems to be very focused on the individual. The saying "The one who dies with the most toys wins" sums it up.

I know I was and still am often mean. But I am aware of it. I am not sure how often other people are aware of their actions or care. I try my best nowadays to be kind. To recognize when something has upset me and not to project my anger on the wrong person.

We all have the potential for good and bad within us. It is our choice in every moment of our lives that makes us who we are as well as what the world is.

What change do you want to be in the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment