Thursday, August 6, 2015

One Tribe - suffering

Studying religion is a big subject rarely given the breadth it should be given in order to understand people through their faith. I myself struggle with an imperfect memory so I am constantly re-learning the bits that just don't stick. I find Sacred Texts to be one of my favorite sites for so many and so varied a set of religious texts. It's definitely worth a look!



I recently came across World Religions: The Great Faiths Explored & Explained which is a nice place to start such studies of those religions with large numbers of followers but there are many more than those few listed. It's often a great way to understand how best to communicate with someone if you know a little about their spirituality.

We often close down our listening when we discover we are at odds with another's spiritually. Sometimes it is simply a defensive way of avoiding being preached to or getting into arguments over what is perceived as a difference. It's difficult to keep an open mind and seek similarities when a conversation goes from two-way to one-way.

I have to admit I have mixed feelings over many atrocities executed in the name of the Creator. They just don't seem to go together. It seems I'm not able to simply forfeit my life for others to avoid harming them. It is an ideal that I've not yet mastered. Strange reflections on this date of the Little Boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment