Thursday, December 30, 2021

Prisons are prisons - Human and other animals too

 The tiger Eko was killed in a zoo

This morning, I learned that a zoo worker reached into a restricted enclosure and was attacked by a wild tiger, Eko.  The person was taken to the hospital and Eko was shot, then tranquilized and later died.  Why are tranquilizers not used to begin with?

As human population grows, we push many other living things to the point of extinction, plants and animals.  I doubt our conservation efforts will ever find a natural balance before most are gone.

I grew up (my teen years) in the country, walking or riding my horse through a huge wooded area owned by the paper company.  I am used to being alone or sharing my journeys with usually one or two other people.  Those quiet times in the woods gave me an appreciation of what the creator made and that that was the way it should be.

As a human, I still don't like duck walks (walks in the rain).  I look at it as being baptized without my consent but maybe they know better than I do.  Sometimes I smile, walk slowly, get drenched and thank them for cleansing me, washing away the bad stuff and ionizing me for the day.  Other times I stay in my shelter or pop open my umbrella and try to avoid every drop.

So I realize as I live currently, I need wood for shelter and many animals are displaced by the cutting of trees for that wood.  Zoos are an easy solution to shelter and care for some of  those displaced animals.

No matter how well we care for them, it is still a prison.  To then kill them when they act like animals is not something we'd do if the animals incarcerated were humans.  I also don't support the death penalty for humans.  Ideals of Love and Compassion should be engaged to the best of our abilities for all those in prisons.

I hope the person recovers.  With less than 200 of these tigers in the wild, it's ironic that Eko's purchase was funded by efforts to save wild tigers.


No comments:

Post a Comment