Sunday, February 10, 2013

Year of the Snake

I ate at a local Chinese buffet today to celebrate the Spring Festival (Chinese New Year). The server was one that waited on me often and she was particularily upbeat and talkative. I suspect it was because of it being the Spring Festival. She said she was very happy to serve me today (something she didn't usually say) so I told her "Thank you and Happy New Year.".

She actually gasped and stared for a moment. Then a broad smile filled her face and she asked "Chinese New Year?". "Yes." I responded.

"Thank you and Happy Chinese New Year!". She almost bounced away. I was quite glad a friend had reminded me of the date yesterday, which I may have missed otherwise. It was such a warm feeling to know why she was so upbeat and to acknowledge why and add to her positive energy.

I left a big tip with another waiter that came to the table. He obviously noticed (and I was worried she might not get the tip). He told me he would be back with my change. I told him to keep it and he responded by saying he would let my server know I had left it (as if he had read my mind).

We are quite a melting pot in this country and it's fun to learn and share in other cultures. I was blessed to travel a few times when I was young (and the world seemed kinder), so I have been exposed to a variety of different cultures. My parents taught me to respect differences even if we didn't agree with them. I have since learned how enlightening this can be.

I don't always do as well in following the principles I set for myself. It seems so much easier to follow the grooves in a road even when you don't want to. The mind is the same way. Paths laid down over time are hard to change but it is worth the extra effort. If simply for the reward of one more smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment