Thursday, July 16, 2020

Obesity - The Shame that is still Politically Correct

In February of 2019, I had 2/3 of my stomach removed in a medical procedure called a gastric sleeve.  It has risks but so did my morbid obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes and chronic back pain (just to name a few issues!).

I had planned this for many years.  I had tried everything and due to even MORE medical issues, I kept failing.  As my weight crept up towards 400 (Sam's Higi station recorded my high as 369, at home, I recorded it as 378), I realized I needed help.  

I was ashamed of having failed at eating properly and exercising and having to also admit I needed help.  I was ashamed because fat was equated with laziness  My Hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) increased with my obesity and was equated with uncleanliness.  Having to take insulin compounded the issue that most doctors don't understand, that taking insulin makes you hungry.  So you eat, take insulin to process the food, and become hungry again in a vicious cycle!

Supposedly (research continues), many of the hunger hormones are produced in the stomach of which 2/3 are removed.  I can tell you, my constant hunger went away after surgery.  I still had an addiction to sugar AND food which I had to be aware of but now I had a fighting chance.

I still have issues that complicate my weight loss, but I also have days where I am INSULIN FREE!!!  That's right, through diet and exercise, I can go from 75 UNITS (about 5 times the average PER MEAL, 4 times a day (300 UNITS of 70/30 Insulin or more a day)) to NO INSULIN.  Even when I do need it, it is less than half of the 75 units I was taking!!!

Other medications have also decreased as I began to lose weight, dropping below 300 pounds!  Simply by changing my diet and no longer being so hungry.

I should have tried to introduce exercise earlier after the gastric sleeve surgery but I was tired and walking hurt so I didn't do so.  I fell back into my old ways, enjoying processed foods and fast food and my weight slowly began creeping up until I finally added walking to the mix.

I am still struggling with portion control and pleasure foods.  It is not a simple fix.  It is a tool to help you help yourself.  I am so afraid of failure and disappointing people that may know of my procedure that I have not said anything.

Today I mowed almost all my lawn, front and back.  It's the most I have done at one time in probably 10 or more years!  I don't know how successful I will be or how much I may lose but I still believe I made the right decision and for others considering this option, I can tell you more, but bottom line, I would do it again only sooner!

For those of you that look down on fat people as lazy or dirty, still politically correct to make fun of, shame on you!  It hurts us and does nothing but send us further into depression which we soothe with the chemicals released by eating.  If you're not going to support us, than to coin a phrase I created, STFU!!!

Stay strong friends, help is out there!
Namaste.

2 comments:

  1. Been reliving childhood trauma and abuse I'm falling back into emotional eating it's hard life sometimes is so very hard

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you would ever like some diet and exercise help, I freely offer my assistance.

    ReplyDelete