Monday, March 8, 2010

Ms. Manners - where have they gone?

There is an English comedy on PBS called "Keeping Up Appearances". The main character, Mrs. Bucket (pronounced Boo-Kay), is quite a stickler for manners and very full of herself. My ex said I often reminded him of her. I'm not sure how to take that except with humor...

For a long time, I thought it was important to always be honest and never hold anything back. I know better nowadays though my mouth still gets around my Freudian Ego at times! (I speak before I have evaluated my comments).

So I try not to be such an ass and I also try to show a few manners still. One family member I hold dear insists she does too but she really doesn't. She'll burp or fart and laugh instead saying excuse me. She never thanks me for gifts or cards I send her. If I call her on any of it, all she has is excuses. And of course, her kids follow her example.

I belong to a group of guys that go out to eat together and spend much time talking down about those that aren't with them. They are a nice group of people but it's hard to feel comfortable when you're wondering what things they are saying about you when you're not there.

I value friends and family more each day since the number dwindles as time goes by. So I try to hold my tongue when hurt or offended. People will flatly deny their bad moods or lack of manners if confronted. If you had a tape or video, they'd make excuses. Perhaps I'm just too sensitive but the denial rubs me the most! Honesty seems to have lost it's value in the world and manners along with it.

We all have our moments but I try hard to be polite. I try not to deny who I am even if I don't plan on changing. If I at least acknowledge my faults I can change. If I look in a mirror and see no faults, there's nothing to change.

I've quoted him before and I'm sure I'll do it in the future...

"You must be the change you want to see in the world".

http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Mahatma_Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment